In August 1950, General MacArthur specifically requested that the Third Infantry Division be sent to Japan.  The Division, less the 65th Infantry Regiment, arrived in Japan in mid September. and spent the next six months training. 

     The 65th RCT left Puerto Rico on August 25, 1950 and went directly to Pusan, Korea.

     The 65th RCT disembarked at Pusan on September 21.  The 58th FA Bn, C Company, 10th Engineer Combat Bn and C Battery 3d AAA AW Bn were shipped from Japan to complete the formation of the 65th Regimental Combat Team (RCT).  Beginning on that date and continuing on though 31 October, the 65th RCT was utilized primarily in anti-guerrilla activities and blocking  North Korean Army units from escaping to the north.  During this period, the 65th was attached to IX  Corps, 2d Infantry and 25th Infantry Divisions and then designated as Eighth Army Reserve.

     In October 1950, the Division, consisting of the 7th RCT and the 15th RCT, less the 65th RCT, was in training in the vicinity of Beppu, Kyushu, Japan.  During this period, 8,500 Republic of Korea (ROK) draftees.  Starting with basic fundamentals, the program progressed through firing individual and crew served weapons, followed by squad, platoon and company tactical exercises.  Despite the language barrier, which limited the type of training to demonstration and practical work.  My younger brother was accidentally shot by one of those trainees while serving as a range instructor and he was immediately airlifted to the Army's Military Hospital at The Presidio, California.  Observers were sent to Korea to visit units already in combat and their observations were incorporated into the training program.

     On October 12,the division was notified that it would stage out of Moji onto amphibious type shipping for Wonsan and that the 65th RCT would revert to Division control upon arrival at Wonsan.

     As November began, preparations were made to move the 65th RCT to Wonsan on the Eastern coast of Korea.  They landed on 5/6 November and were attached to X Corps. The 1st Battalion was attached to the First Marine Division and was moved to the vicinity of Munchon.  The 2d Battalion moved to the area of Yonchon.  The 3d Battalion remained attached to X Corp. At that time it was known that large numbers of enemy personnel were within the Division's Zone of Responsibility.  They were believed to have the capability of assembling up to 3,000 men for offensive action.

         The Division Tactical Command Post opened at Wonsan at midnight November 10.  X Corps assigned a zone which extended from south of Singosan north almost to Sachang-ni and about 60,000 meters inland from the coast.

     The Division was ordered to relieve all elements of the First Marine Division in its zone, secure the area, protect X Corps western flank and prepare offensive operations to the west and station one Infantry Battalion in Hamhung as Corps Reserve.  By 20 November, it was determined that there were as many as 25,000 North Korean Army guerrillas in the Division zone.  It was reported that the bulk of these men were located within a ten mile radius of Pank-san in groups ranging in size up to 1,500.  It was also reported that only about 40 per cent of these men were armed.  With their escape north blocked, it was estimated that these groups would attack our supply lines.  They began a series of attacks in the Jajon-ni, Hoeyang and Singosan areas.  There were unverified reports that the enemy in the Singosan and Hoeyang areas were a mixed group of North Korean Army and Communist Chinese Army personnel.5:

    When the Chinese launched their major offensive on November 25th, the Division was charged with the defense of the port of Hungnam. 

     On Christmas Eve, the men of the 3d Division were the last to sail out of Hungnam, having protected the safe evacuation of 105,000 UN troops and 91,000 refugees and over a quarter million tons of supplies and equipment.

     By New Years Day, the Division had landed at Pusan.  The Division was assigned to the Eighth Army's I Corps and went into the western section of the UN line about forth miles South of Seoul.:

     The Third Division was part of the offensive  and by late February had established positions along the Han River.